Coronavirus update: Infections rise in young people in Tokyo, Da Nang outbreak leads to further deaths
The Tokyo Government says about half of the city’s new coronavirus cases have been detected in people in their 20s, amid concerns the number of new infections is becoming increasingly harder to control.
In Vietnam, two more people have died as infections continue to spread from an outbreak at hospital last week.
This story will be updated throughout Monday.
Monday’s key moments:
Younger patients make up half of new cases in Tokyo
Confirmed coronavirus cases are hovering at near-record levels in Japan, raising worries the pandemic may be growing more difficult to control.
The Tokyo Government reported 292 new cases Sunday, about half in their 20s.
Japan in total reported 1,540 cases on Saturday — the second straight day the number was above 1,500.
Nationwide cases for Sunday will be tallied at midnight.
Numbers are usually fewer over the weekend because of fewer tests.
Japan has avoided a total lockdown, encouraging business activity while urging people to wear masks, social distance and work from home.
Da Nang outbreak continues to spread across Vietnam
Vietnam reported two more deaths from the coronavirus on Sunday, raising the country’s death toll to five, all in the last few days.
The two people who died — an 84-year-old woman and an 85-year-old woman — were patients at a hospital in Da Nang, Vietnam’s most popular beach destination.
An outbreak began at a Da Nang hospital a week ago and has spread to other parts of the country, including three of the largest cities, forcing authorities to reimpose virus restrictions.
The health ministry also confirmed 32 new cases on Sunday, including 16 in Da Nang and nine in neighbouring Quang Nam province.
Local transmissions were also recorded in Ho Chi Minh City and Quang Ngai, as well as Dong Nai and Ha Nam provinces for the first time.
All of the new cases were traced back to Da Nang.
Philippines to reimpose strict lockdown in capital as cases spike
The Philippines will reimpose a stricter coronavirus lockdown in and around the capital for two weeks as the country struggles to contain infections that have jumped to more than 100,000.
Some businesses and public transport services are expected to be closed in the capital and work and quarantine passes will also be required, as authorities seek to restrict movements.
President Rodrigo Duterte’s move came after 80 local groups representing 80,000 doctors and a million nurses called for tighter controls, saying the country was losing the fight against the coronavirus.
“I have heard you. Don’t lose hope. We are aware that you are tired,” Mr Duterte said.
The Philippines recorded 5,032 new cases on Sunday, the country’s largest single-day increase, taking its confirmed coronavirus cases to 103,185.
The death toll jumped by 20 to 2,059.
It has the second-highest number of COVID-19 infections and deaths in South-East Asia, behind Indonesia.
In mid-March, Mr Duterte imposed one of the world’s longest and strictest lockdowns in the capital and other provinces.
He began easing restrictions in June in an effort to revive the domestic economy, which is now facing its biggest contraction in more than three decades.